Project goals and objectives reflect multiple targets aimed at involving teachers and administrators in technology-enhanced mathematics reform. They link the epistemological, pedagogical, and logistical activities designed to support QCC and NCTM standards.
Goal 1: Promote innovative practices in the tool uses of technology in middle-grades mathematics teaching and learning.
- To use technology tools to model and demonstrate standards-referenced mathematics content and pedagogy for the middle school.
- To enable teachers to experience mathematics using various technologies to explore real world applications, engage in problem solving, and communicate about their investigations.
- To use technology to understand the distinction between demonstration and proof in mathematics and to emphasize the value of each in the understanding of mathematics.
- To use technology to engage in mathematics explorations, to form mathematics ideas, and to solve mathematics problems.
- To use technology tools to construct new and personally meaningful ideas of mathematics.
- To use general tools such as word processing, paint programs, spreadsheets to facilitate mathematics investigations and communication.
Goal 2: Revitalize middle-grades mathematics teaching and learning by modeling, then applying, innovative technology-enhanced approaches.
- To develop effective mathematics demonstrations using appropriate technology tools.
- To engage in independent investigations of mathematics topics from the middle school curriculum or from mathematics appropriate for that level.
- To better communicate mathematics ideas arising from technology enhanced investigations.
Goal 3: Support reform of mathematics teaching and learning in middle grades mathematics classrooms.
- To enable middle grade mathematics teachers to develop and adapt materials and goals from standards based curriculum to through the use of technology.
- To model and explore collaborative instructional strategies.
- To develop mechanisms and expectations of sharing instructional ideas, materials, and information among middle school mathematics teacher.
- To support comprehensive standards-based middle school mathematics curricula and the implementation of Quality Core Curriculum and NCTM goals.
- To utilize technology tools in the implementation of alternative assessment strategies.
Goal 4: Establish the human and technological infrastructure needed to sustain meaningful reform of middle grade mathematics instruction.
- To develop confidence in technology use as teachers explore, practice, reflect, and become adept in technology-enhanced teaching and learning of mathematics.
- To enable and encourage middle school mathematics teachers to collaborate by using technology support.
- To support professional development opportunities for middle school mathematics teachers and other key personnel through a network of peer teachers.